- Use dialogue as an uneventful exchange of words. For example:
Tom: What's new?
Tom: Oh. OK
Tom: No reason.
- Use too many fancy tags. "he said" and "she said" are almost invisible. If you add too many fancy tags at the end of dialogue, it can get distracting. For Example:
"I won the race," Jack exclaimed.
"How," Mike questioned, "Tim was way ahead of you."
"I had a burst of energy and passed him," Jake squealed.
- Use tags that you can't speak. For example:
"I'm tired," sighed Amy.
"Me too," breathed Sarah.
- Use dialogue in a smart way. Use it to move the story forward.
- Use "invisible" tags such as "he said" and "she said"
- Make hellos, goodbyes and conversation starters short. If you spend too long on them, the story will drag on.
- And most of all - DO have FUN with it!