Thursday, February 26, 2009

Jen's Writing Tip #3: What's in a Guideline?


Answer: Your best shot at publication with that company. Remember that Writers' Guidelines are not just a preference. Editors are looking for something specific and to be considered for their publication, it is in your best interest to follow the guidelines to the letter.

When I submitted my work, I created checklists based on the Writers' Guidelines. After my manuscript had been through the critique group a few times, I ran down the checklist and marked off each requirement.

Not every manuscript ended up as an acceptance, but it certainly made sure it was considered and not tossed on a technicality.

So remember, one key to publication is following those guidelines.

2 comments:

Donna McDine said...

Hi Jennifer...sound advice to follow. I'm looking forward to being a member of the GAP family. Be well.

Warmly,
Donna
www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Jennifer, I totally agree that reading and understanding guidelines will help present your work at a better light than not following the publisher's guidelines.

Blog Archive

Children's Author

Analytics