Friday, July 20, 2007

An Unexpected Gift

What is one of the more memorable gifts you've been given on your birthday? Maybe it's that car you always wanted, or those books you wanted, but never bought? Recently, for me it came from a special group of friends.

My fist children's publication was "Shivering Sally and the Scary Sounds." When it was published in Stories for Children Magazine, I was very excited. The illustrator did a fantastic job. I was thrilled at how well she captured my story's characters and setting.

As my birthday crawled near, my friends arranged a special birthday present. They created a package that contained a message and something special from each of them. That was special and memorable enough. The final touch, however, was a print of the illustration for "Shivering Sally." I fell in love with the picture when I first saw it in Stories for Children, and now I had a real print of it from the illustrator.

It takes some creative friends to come up with and pull off such a wonderful idea. Over the weekend, if I'm not engulfed in the new Harry Potter book, I plan to frame the print. Then I will make a collage out of the special items everyone sent. Both pieces will be inspirational decorations at my desk.

When your birthday comes around, whether it's tomorrow or 8 months from now, I wish you a memorable one.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Children's Author

Analytics